Pirate-4x4.Ru : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate-4x4.Ru : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Land Use Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Premium Memberships
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2016, 05:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tablerock Crawler

Member # 115122
Zero access in Missouri?

I've been doing some research and have come to the conclusion that there is no access on public lands to any car, truck or SUV in the state of Missouri. I found one area in Chadwick, MO that allows dirt bikes, 4wheelers, and anything with a 55" track width or less. Can any one else confirm these finding?

Yesterday I went to a local spot on the James river that I've been going to since 1999 and find this.
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2016, 07:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
JF
Rock God

Member # 133890
Yeah, we used to trail ride ATVs at Rock Creek near Big M marina. But, now it's closed. We still go to Roaring river. There are fire roads and trails off the "scenic drive". Shown on the map as FR2270 Sugar Camp National Forest Scenic Byway. Forest 1045 RD becomes trails.
JF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2016, 07:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 85771
My Dad talks about going wheeling back in the late 70's in Flat River MO. No idea where that's at but he's got a bunch of old pictures. Looks pretty cool.

Old 06-30-2016, 04:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
JF
Rock God

Member # 133890
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky scrambled View Post
My Dad talks about going wheeling back in the late 70's in Flat River MO. No idea where that's at but he's got a bunch of old pictures. Looks pretty cool.
Not familiar with flat river... I do know flat creek though.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tablerock Crawler

Member # 115122
There is a "spot" near my house called flat creek. Its just A few dozen mud holes. Theres a bar/restaurant across the street has great prime rib. Cape Fair, MO

I'll have to check out that sugar camp area. I've been looking at that area and north east to table rock lake on google maps.

Last edited by gmcxt; 07-17-2016 at 05:48 PM.
gmcxt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2016, 09:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 108006
Flat river is on the other side of the state from Branson. It is a portion of St Joe State park that is open to the public for off roading.

https://mostateparks.com/park/st-joe-state-park

https://mostateparks.com/trails/st-j...-park?type=atv

Last edited by JunkCJ6; 07-18-2016 at 10:02 AM.
JunkCJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2016, 09:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tablerock Crawler

Member # 115122
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkCJ6 View Post
Flat river is on the other side of the state from Branson. It is a portion of St Joe State park that is open to the public for off roading.

https://mostateparks.com/park/st-joe-state-park

https://mostateparks.com/trails/st-j...-park?type=atv
Have you personally been there? Like a lot of Missouri regulations its wording seems like it says one thing but there's always a catch. Looks like you cannot ride the trails just a flat sandy area. I feel like they're discriminating against us because our trucks are fat.
Attached Images

Last edited by gmcxt; 09-24-2016 at 09:21 AM.
gmcxt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2016, 01:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tablerock Crawler

Member # 115122
Quote:
Originally Posted by JF View Post
Yeah, we used to trail ride ATVs at Rock Creek near Big M marina. But, now it's closed. We still go to Roaring river. There are fire roads and trails off the "scenic drive". Shown on the map as FR2270 Sugar Camp National Forest Scenic Byway. Forest 1045 RD becomes trails.
JF your message box is full I was wanting to talk to you about a few other areas in the Mark Twain Forrest.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 108006
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcxt View Post
Have you personally been there? Like a lot of Missouri regulations its wording seems like it says one thing but there's always a catch. Looks like you cannot ride the trails just a flat sandy area. I feel like they're discriminating against us because our trucks are fat.
I have not been there. Everyone that I know had been there were on 4 wheelers and a couple of dune buggies. All of my MO offroading has been at the private parks scattered across the state.
JunkCJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2016, 05:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
JF
Rock God

Member # 133890
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcxt View Post
JF your message box is full I was wanting to talk to you about a few other areas in the Mark Twain Forrest.
Box is empty now.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tablerock Crawler

Member # 115122
Since I started this thread I have been educated on the subject a little more. There is access like what was mentioned earlier by JF. I've been riding a few National Forest Roads lately and while they are not level 5 trails you can drive around all day and have fun. That is if your rig is able to drive on the streets to get to them. Ive been using a combination of Google Earth and this site https://www.fs.fed.us/ivm/ from the national parks services. Google Earth has location and satellite view and the other site has more listings of the forest roads that Earth doesn't. I'm sure there is a GPS software available but these two are good enough for what I'm doing.

There are also PDFs you can download if your in an area where there is no cell service. These are some around me in the Market Twain National Forrest https://www.fs.usda.gov/recmain/mtnf/recreation

Here is a more complete national list. Click on an area your interested in and you can somtimes get PDFs by clicking the "recreation" link on the left side of the page of that area or you get the interactive map similar to the first link I posted http://www.fs.fed.us/ivm/
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/invalidurl or https://www.fs.fed.us

This is the sum total of hours of boring net searching. And hours of just driving around in the woods. For me it really comes down to compromise. I've got a ton of not so legal places to lock the hubs in and play on private land. As far as public lands in my area since there is no "skate park for trucks" I am limited to crappy roads in the National Forests. Missouri as a state does really offer anything. If you want to pay to play at an off-road park theres always that route too. If your in to UTVs, fourwheels, and dirt bikes there is more available to you publicly. Id like for that to change and the 50" width regulation be lifted. I'm sure it would piss off those people but if the tables were turned they'd feel the same as us.

-Jason
Old 07-24-2017, 01:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tablerock Crawler

Member # 115122
Areas around Glad Top Trail North of Rutuer, MO are fun they zig zag and all inter connect. VERY poor trail markers though. Also the area not too far from shellknob is ok FR1060, 1011, 1059, and 1080. Easy way to kill a day. All these are really overgrown so sticks will hit your face and pine needles fall down your shirt. I've been about 6 times and never saw another rig all day!
Old 11-12-2017, 04:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 616210
I live in southeast MO and have found some decently fun forest roads in and around the fredericktown, mo mark twain forest area and some in southern Illinois in the Shawnee national forest. Nothing crazy but I’ve got a first gen runner on 38’s and my wife has a yj on 35’s and it gives a little bit of challenge to her rig. We’ve only been on a handful of roads and have found that some are just gravel roads or dirt paths but some are more fun with steeper grades and ruts and rocks. I have friends that tell me of some forest roads in the potosi area that used to be ran a lot and are some fun
84 Runner Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2017, 06:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tablerock Crawler

Member # 115122
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84 Runner Crawler View Post
I live in southeast MO and have found some decently fun forest roads in and around the fredericktown, mo mark twain forest area and some in southern Illinois in the Shawnee national forest. Nothing crazy but Ive got a first gen runner on 38s and my wife has a yj on 35s and it gives a little bit of challenge to her rig. Weve only been on a handful of roads and have found that some are just gravel roads or dirt paths but some are more fun with steeper grades and ruts and rocks. I have friends that tell me of some forest roads in the potosi area that used to be ran a lot and are some fun
Yes Ive seen some pics of those areas. Id like to check them out one day. I was talking to a guy last night who said the Ozark Forrest in Northern AR is a maze. If you look at it in a map it's huge. Anyone ever been?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate-4x4.Ru : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.