Pirate-4x4.Ru : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate-4x4.Ru : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Mitsubishi
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Premium Memberships
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2015, 01:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 27554
Just got an 87 Montero with a bad 2.6l

I just picked up a decent 87 Montero (2.6l with auto)and I need a little direction. I am leaning towards rebuilding the stock motor if the bottom end is still good or possibly a complete 22RE swap including rears/tranny/tcase since I have a donor rig. Anyone ever do a similar swap? Aftermarket is much better for Toys vs Mitsubishi.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 66172
If you convert everything to Toyota drivetrain, are you going to do solid front axle? Diff is on the driver's side in the front.

The 2.6L is a strong enough engine, mains and rod bearings are industrial strength. Your options with the automatic could be a Starion turbo conversion, or later 2.4L EFI conversion, good for several ponies more than the NA 2.6L.

The 87 short wheel base swaps we've seen have included Hummer (93 Four Wheeler Top Truck Challenge), 6.0L Caddie swap ala 777 on 4x4wire, 350 Chevy conversion ala shortening a GMC 3/4-ton, turbo swaps belonging to many folks on 4x4wire, 4.3L Chevy ala Land Raider, and numerous others. I almost swapped to a Ford 302 but funds / time were never together.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 601234
There isn't much after market for the Monteros and what you do find is twice as much and comes out of Australia. If all you want is a mild wheeler then rebuilding the stocker will work ( Ive flogged mine and its held up). The first wall you'll hit is the low range in the t case and the gearing in the axles. If you have a donor toyota and want to do the SAS Id go for it. Im looking at doing a 4.3 with dana 44's in my four door.
Sledhooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 07:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 27554
Thanks for the info guys. I got a lead on a motor in North NJ. It's a Starion motor with turbo. He is asking $350 for it, but I will also need the ECU and wiring to hook it up, but that may be down the road. I just picked up a Montero factory service manual on ebay for $14 shipped.

Are there any things/tricks I need to know regarding pulling the motor?
Old 11-06-2015, 08:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 27554
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxinhed View Post
If you convert everything to Toyota drivetrain, are you going to do solid front axle? Diff is on the driver's side in the front.
Yeah, I have a solid axle from a 1983 Toyota pickup at my dad's shop. The main reason I am even considering this route is because one, I have the parts, and two the aftermarket is WAY better with Toyota.

I am still on the fence, but I am teetering on going the stock route. I will definitely leave the Toyota parts on the shelf for the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate-4x4.Ru : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.